The wine of Capalbio
Viticulture has been part of Capalbio’s history since ancient times: this land in fact offers the optimal conditions to produce a quality wine. It is for this reason that the municipality and local producers decided to establish the DOC, controlled designation of origin, in order to make the most of its land. The Doc of Capalbio also extends outside the municipal borders, touching also part of the municipalities of Manciano, Magliano and Orbetello and covering 670 hectares and a production of 38,000 hectoliters.
Five types of wines are produced under the “Capalbio” label.
- Capalbio red, rosé and red wine reserve, made up with a minimum of 50% Sangiovese, and for red reserves the minimum aging is 2 years, of which at least six months in wooden barrels. The minimum alcohol content is 11% vol. for red, 10.5% for rosé and 12% for red wine reserve.
- Capalbio white wine and Vin Santo wine made up with a minimum of 50% Trebbiano to which may be added, if necessary: Vermentino, Malvasia, Chardonnay, Pinot Bianco and Riesling Italico. The minimum alcohol content is 10.5% vol. for the white and 16 % for the Vin Santo, which must be aged for at least two years in a sort of wooden barrels called “caratelli” and released for consumption no earlier than November 1st of the third year after the harvest.
- Capalbio Vermentino made up with a minimum of 85% Vermentino. The minimum alcohol content is 11% vol.
- Capalbio Sangiovese made up with a minimum of 85% of Sangiovese. The minimum alcohol content is 12% vol.
- Cabernet Sauvignon made up with a minimum of 85% of Cabernet Sauvignon. The minimum alcohol content is 12% vol.
In 2021 Capalbio wine entered the top 100 of the best Italian red wines, according to Gentleman magazine. The ranking, obtained by crossing the rankings of the six Italian Guides (Vini d’Italia by Gambero Rosso, I Vini di Veronelli, Vitae Associazione Italiana Sommelier, Bibenda Fondazione Italiana Sommelier, Guida Essenziale ai Vini d’Italia Doctor Wine, Annuario dei Migliori Vini Italiani Luca Maroni) has placed two labels of the Monteverro winery: Monteverro Toscana Rosso 2017 in fifth place and Tinata Monteverro Toscana Rosso 2017 in fiftieth place.
Capalbio wines are perfect to taste during a visit to the wine cellars or as an accompaniment to gastronomic, which you can enjoy in local restaurants.